Pawel Sygowski from our partners Stowarzyszenie “Studnia Pamieci” (Well of Memory) presents his new book about the Jewish cemetery in Wąwolnica -Żydzi wąwolniccy i ich cmentarz.
- ResourcesPublication: Wąwolnica Jews and their Cemetery
- PlacesWąwolnica: Executions and Violence
The Jewish cemetery in Wąwolnica became a killing site when men from the town were shot and buried there.
- PlacesWąwolnica: Destruction of the Jewish Cemetery
Desecrated by the Nazis and hidden under dense vegetation, Wąwolnica's Jewish cemetery still contains some reminders of pre-war Jewish life in the town.
- PlacesWąwolnica: Social Action
Wąwolnica's Jewish cemetery was neglected and overgrown. However, thanks to dedicated volunteers and the support of the local government, it is finally being restored and cared for.
- PlacesWąwolnica: From Safe Haven to Killing Site
When Jews from surrounding areas faced persecution many fled to Wąwolnica. However, this supposed safe haven witnessed cultural genocide and mass murder.