When Jewish cemeteries are vandalised and destroyed, it is an attack at the very heart of Jewish communities.
- ArticlesJewish Cemeteries: Desecration and Cultural Genocide
- Films“Poland has a huge hole in it”
Steven D. Reece, Founder and CEO of The Matzevah Foundation, discusses the impact that the destruction of the Jewish community in Poland had one the nation.
- ResourcesPublication: Cmentarz Żydowski w Oświęcimiu
A new publication by our partners Dr Artur Szyndler and Dr Jacek Proszyk discusses the history, symbolism and natural environment of the Jewish cemetery in Oświęcim.
- ResourcesPublication: The Archaeology of Cultural Genocide
In this paper, Professor Caroline Sturdy Colls provides a timely assessment of approaches to the investigation of cultural genocide.
- ResourcesPublication: Wąwolnica Jews and their Cemetery
Pawel Sygowski from our partners Stowarzyszenie “Studnia Pamieci” (Well of Memory) presents his new book about the Jewish cemetery in Wąwolnica -Żydzi wąwolniccy i ich cmentarz.
- ArticlesReconciliation in Focus
Steven D. Reece discusses the importance of restoring Jewish cemeteries.
- PeoplePiaski: Anna Świetlicka Eyewitness Testimony
Anna Świetlicka (née Łysakowska) was 12 years old when the Nazis occupied her home town, Piaski (Poland).
- OświęcimOświęcim: Finding Existing Graves
Having mapped the locations of the matzevot within the cemetery, GPR was used in an attempt to relocate the original graves that they used to mark.
Piaski: Kurt Thomas Eyewitness Testimony
- EventsOświęcim: Jacob Hennenberg Eyewitness Testimony
Jacob Hennenberg born in 1924, was 15 when the Nazis forced all the citizens of Oświęcim (Poland) to leave.
- PiaskiPiaski: Mass Graves
Witness testimonies and archaeological evidence demonstrate how cultural genocide turned to mass killings in Piaski's new Jewish cemetery.
- PiaskiPiaski: New Jewish Cemetery
The new cemetery in Piaski contains evidence of severe damage to matzevot, executions and mass graves.