Steven D. Reece discusses the importance of restoring Jewish cemeteries.
- ArticlesReconciliation in Focus
- OświęcimOświęcim: Finding Existing Graves
Having mapped the locations of the matzevot within the cemetery, GPR was used in an attempt to relocate the original graves that they used to mark.
- EventsOświęcim: Jacob Hennenberg Eyewitness Testimony
Jacob Hennenberg born in 1924, was 15 when the Nazis forced all the citizens of Oświęcim (Poland) to leave.
- ArticlesDesecration of Synagogues and Other Religious Buildings
As well as Jewish cemeteries, synagogues were widely targeted by the Nazis as part of their efforts to attack Jewish culture.
- EventsOświęcim: Social Action
A diverse group worked to clear and restore the cemetery with a dedication to remembering the past and building bridges for the future.
- OświęcimOświęcim: Destruction of the Cemetery
As part of the attack on Jewish property, the Jewish cemetery in Oświęcim was desecrated.
- OświęcimOświęcim: Camp Judenfreidhof
In Oświęcim Jewish cemetery, the Nazis further desecrated a sacred site by turning it into a camp.
- ArticlesOświęcim: Transforming the Town
Oświęcim was one of the first towns in Poland to be invaded by the German army after the outbreak of World War II.