Piaski's old Jewish cemetery has been totally destroyed and killings took place in its grounds.
- PiaskiPiaski’s Old Jewish Cemetery
- PlacesWąwolnica: Executions and Violence
The Jewish cemetery in Wąwolnica became a killing site when men from the town were shot and buried there.
- PlacesWąwolnica: Destruction of the Jewish Cemetery
Desecrated by the Nazis and hidden under dense vegetation, Wąwolnica's Jewish cemetery still contains some reminders of pre-war Jewish life in the town.
- ArticlesDesecration of Synagogues and Other Religious Buildings
As well as Jewish cemeteries, synagogues were widely targeted by the Nazis as part of their efforts to attack Jewish culture.
- PlacesWąwolnica: Social Action
Wąwolnica's Jewish cemetery was neglected and overgrown. However, thanks to dedicated volunteers and the support of the local government, it is finally being restored and cared for.
- PlacesWąwolnica: From Safe Haven to Killing Site
When Jews from surrounding areas faced persecution many fled to Wąwolnica. However, this supposed safe haven witnessed cultural genocide and mass murder.
- PiaskiPiaski: Social Action
Volunteers from across Poland and around the world came together to clean Piaski's cemeteries
- EventsOświęcim: Social Action
A diverse group worked to clear and restore the cemetery with a dedication to remembering the past and building bridges for the future.
- PiaskiPiaski: Vandalism, Misuse and Neglect in the Present
The Jewish cemeteries in Piaski were desecrated during WWII and used as killing sites. But vandalism, misuse and neglect still continues today
- OświęcimOświęcim: Destruction of the Cemetery
As part of the attack on Jewish property, the Jewish cemetery in Oświęcim was desecrated.
- OświęcimOświęcim: Camp Judenfreidhof
In Oświęcim Jewish cemetery, the Nazis further desecrated a sacred site by turning it into a camp.
- ArticlesOświęcim: Transforming the Town
Oświęcim was one of the first towns in Poland to be invaded by the German army after the outbreak of World War II.